Thursday, January 01, 2009

Prime Rib on the BBQ!

We were lucky enough to get our Prime Rib from Costco this year, so instead of me messing up a $100+ piece of meat, I get the chance to screw up a $70 piece...woohoo!


Basics:

325 degrees
Indirect heat (duh)
12-14 min per pound

Meat Prep:
I removed the meat from the fridge about 1.5 hours before I was going to throw it on the grill.

Cut 4 cloves of garlic into thin slices and crammed them into the meat, near the fat worked the best as I didn't want to puncture the meat and have juices run out while I was cooking it.


Took another 4 cloves of garlic, ran them through the press and then rubbed it on the outside of the Prime Rib along with my father-in-laws famous salt rub.


Grill Prep:
Soaked some wood chips in beer at the same time I took the meat out of the fridge.
Put a pan of water under the grills where I was going to place the meat.
Get that sucker up to 325 degrees.


By my estimates, it should take about 90 minutes to cook the Prime Rib that we bought, but I have a thermometer that I use which monitors the temp throughout, so once it hits 115 degrees its coming out.

It took a little longer than 90 minutes and here it is right when I was taking it out and of course in my excitement/hunger, I forgot to take a picture of it carved.

No comments: